The following test is what we use in our store to tell
what an installer applicant really knows when they come into our store looking for a job.
Feel free to give it a try, e-mail me your answers and I will grade them and email you the
This is a test to gauge your knowledge of installation
techniques and procedures.
1. What color is the GM radio ground wire?
2. What color is the GM parking light flash wire?
3. What color is the Ford 12v switched radio wire?
4. What color is the Mercedes radio ground wire?
5. What color is the GM door pin wire usually?
6. Are Ford pinswitches 12v switched or ground switched?
7. On a bosch type relay commonly used on an alarm system what are the coil numbers?
8. On a relay commonly used on an alarm system what are two closed contact numbers?
9. What is SPDT switch?
10. To block low frequency sound from a speaker would you us a coil or capacitor?
11. What is a common use for a diode in a car alarm system?
12. Should amplifiers fuse be at car battery or Amp or trunk or radio?
13. To tune a CB antenna to a higher frequency should antenna be longer or shorter?
14. Name a car that uses 5 wire door-lock system.
15. What is FM multi-path and how does it affect the sound?
16. What voltage are most alarm remote batteries?
17. What are the electronic symbols for Voltage, Amps, Resistance, and Watts .
18. What is a ground loop in a car audio system?
19. What is a spider on a loudspeaker?
20. What does a crossover do in a speaker system?
21. What is loudspeaker sensitivity?
22. How many CB channels are there?
23. Where does the remote wire on a car amp. go?
24. Explain brifly how police radar and laser speed detection equipment works.
25. For Maximum ERP from a cellular phone antenna, the antenna cable should be;
a. coiled up and hidden when it is too long.
b. cut to minimum length.
c. Cut in 1/4 wave multiples only
d. cut in 1/2 wave multiples only.
26. Explain "Bridged Amplifier"
27. On most car stereo units (Pioneer for instance) is the left speakers green or gray
28. How many octaves are in the normal human hearing range?
29. What is loudspeaker Phasing?
30. What does "on axis" mean in relation to a loudspeaker?
31. Two 4 ohm resistors wired in series will equal ohms.
32. Two 4 ohm resistors wired in parallel will equal ohms.
33. A 4 ohm and an 8 ohm resistor wired in series will equal ohms.
34. What purpose is a gain control knob on an amplifier?
35. What purpose is the high and low frequency output gain controls on an electronic
36. Explain HF, VHF and UHF
37. How many cells are there in most lead/acid car batteries.
38. How many audio tracks are there on a normal cassette audio tape?
39. What is Positive ground in a car (more commonly in some semi-trucks)?
40. What are most dash screws in a Rolls Royce
a. Phillips head
b. Flat head
d. Tamper proof torx
e. Clutch drive
f. Pozi Drive
41. How important is the gauge of the power wire on an amplifier?
42. How important is the gauge of the ground wire on an amplifier?
43. How important is the gauge of the RCA signal cables in an audio system?
44. How important is the gauge of the amp turn on wire?
45. How much louder is a system done in all gold plated connectors than one done in the
regular old nickel plating?
a. 3db louder
b. 6db louder
c. 12db louder
d. not noticeably louder
e. 1/2 dB louder
46. What is a Buss Bar?
47. What is a Pan Head screw?
48. An audio amplifiers distortion is measured in terms of THD, what does THD stand for?
49. If you powered an audio amplifier into a 4ohm dummy load with a test signal and
measured 10volts output into the dummy load, what would the power in watts be?
50. If the inside dimensions of a box are 24in and 12in and 6in then what is the interior
airspace of the box?